Several months ago we announced the Planet Kubb US Kubb Club Championship. Just to reiterate the basics of how this will work:
- Kubb club captains will register with Planet Kubb to participate in the championship. You must register to be eligible to win.
- Kubb club captains will identify three Kubb teams that will collect points for the Kubb club. Kubb clubs must have exactly three teams that represent them.
- The Kubb team captains must agree to represent the Kubb club that picked them (club picks the teams, teams confirm the pick).
- A Kubb team can only represent one Kubb club.
- The Kubb club’s captains and the Kubb team’s captain must be in the same state (Minnesota Clubs represented by Minnesota Teams, Iowa Clubs represented by Iowa Teams). It is fine if there are members of a team that are not in the same sate, as long as the captain is.
So, how will the scoring work? Let’s dive in a bit.
Clubs will accumulate points through the teams that represent them. A club will get one point for each match win, or bye, that a team receives in the championship stage of the tournament. There will be no points rewarded during the round robin, and no points will be awarded in the consolation bracket.
Let’s take an example. The Kubbanoids go 3-0 in the round robin, they get a bye into the round of 32 teams in the championship bracket (+1 point). They win the match in the round of 32 (+1 point, total 2 points). They win again in the round of 16 (+1 point, total 3 points). They lose in the round of 8 ending their dreams. The Kubbanoids will deliver 3 points for their club.
The Kubbaddicts are playing for the same club as the Kubbanoids. They go 1-2 in the round robin and have to play into the championship bracket. They win that match (+1 point, 1 total point) and proceed to the round of 32 where they lose. They bring 1 point to their club, taking the club to a total of 4 points.
Then the final team for the club, the Kubbicks, win it all! They get a bye (+1 point), win in the round of 32 (+1 point), win in round of 16 (+1 point). They blow away the team in the quarterfinals (+1 point), win the semifinals (+1 point) and win the championship (+1 point)! 6 points for their club.
Club Metropolis has 10 points in the competition.
If at the end of the competition multiple clubs have the same number of points, the club with any single team that has gone the furthest in the tournament will receive the win. In the unlikely scenario that a tie remains, the club who’s teams had the fewest losses will win.
The trophy will be awarded on Sunday at the US Championship. The trophy will be awarded to the club captain and that club will keep the US Kubb Club Championship trophy until the following US Championship when it is up for grabs again!